COMODO FIREWALL PRO VERSION (3.0) IS AWARDED HIGHEST 5-STAR RATING FROM CNET’s DOWNLOAD.COM
Acclaim and acceptance for the firewall’s groundbreaking approach has been so strong that the number of installed downloads has more than doubled since launch of V3.0 in November 2007.
Jersey City, NJ, January 10, 2008 — Comodo, a leading Certification Authority and global provider of security solutions today announced that the latest version of Comodo Firewall Pro (v3.0) has again been awarded the maximum 5 stars out of 5 in a recent review by CNET’s download.com. In this review, Comodo Firewall Pro was, for the second time in a row, commended for, “providing a smorgasbord of information and options for advanced users, but simple enough for beginners. Don’t be fooled by the name, either. Comodo is labeled Pro but it offers up its dragon-sized treasure of features for free.” This version follows the 5-star rating Comodo previously received for the 2.4 version of the firewall in October 2007. In addition, user support continues to increase as the firewall received an “excellent” rating, getting a four star user rating.
With this release, Comodo has moved away from traditional “detection based” desktop security models to a radical new approach using a (proprietary) technology architecture platform called A-VSMART™. With A-VSMART™, short for “Anti – Virus, Spyware, Malware, Adware, Rootkits and Trojans”, prevention becomes the first line of defense by preventing viruses computer access and only allowing known, trusted applications to be installed. With prevention as the first line of defense, threats are mitigated because unknown applications, including malware, are denied execution rights by the firewall. If a virus cannot install or run, then it cannot do any damage. This new architecture is a fundamental change in how PCs can remain virus free versus the traditional, “detection based” security solutions that allow all applications access to the computer and then try to “detect” damaging files by recognizing the file’s “signature”. The old model is flawed because the malware has to be already on a computer for the detection technology to work – giving the malware opportunity to do damage before it is detected and/ or removed. Further, this model leaves computers unprotected against Zero day attacks which are attacks from viruses not recognized by security solutions. These files therefore have no trouble gaining access to users computers (until a patch is created and distributed which can often be days after the initial attack).
This CNET rating suggests that Comodo’s vision to change desktop security to a best practices “prevention” model is; market ready, leading edge for malware prevention yet is industry accepted and user endorsed. In the last 45 days alone, installations of this firewall more than doubled so that now tens of thousands of people are installing this solution every day. CNET’s high rating coincides with a Firewall & PC Magazine review by Neil J. Rubenking, Lead Analyst for Security at PC Magazine.”
A-VSMART™ TECHNOLOGY ARCHITECTURE OVERVIEW
The key component of this next generation firewall lies in its A-VSMART (Anti – Virus, Spyware, Malware, Adware, Rootkit, Trojan) technology architecture that proactively monitors internal system applications and processes while also actively monitoring all incoming and outgoing Internet traffic. Specifically, this architecture proactively protects against potential security breaches by; 1) enabling tighter control of internet traffic, b) controlling which applications are allowed to gain access to a computer’s CPU (central processing unit) and 3) limiting critical system access to allow only trusted system modifications.
Key proprietary and patent pending technologies of the A-VSMART architecture:
- Defense+ is an advanced Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) that proactively monitors systems and system processes to detect and prevent system changes such as rootkit installations, inter-process memory injections, key-loggers and more.
- Comodo’s white list database of “trusted applications” includes over one million applications and represents one of the largest databases in the industry.
- Patent Pending “Clean PC Mode” is an important innovation that was developed to effortlessly keep new PC’s virus free. This feature creates a profile of the computer with all existing applications registered as safe. The firewall then prevents any unrecognized applications from being installed unless; a) the application is recognized by Comodo’s extensive white list or b) the user grants installation permissions. It also prevents any suspicious system processes from running.
- Advanced firewall engine for preventative management of incoming and outgoing Internet traffic with the highest levels of preventative monitoring of all inbound and outbound traffic to prevent hackers and identity thieves from penetrating a computer.
Prevention Based Security Delivers Better Protection and Benefits
- Authenticate the integrity of every program before allowing it access to system resources
- Alert users every time an unknown or untrusted application attempts to run or install
- Block Viruses, Trojans, and Spyware before they can ever get into a system
- Prevent unauthorized modification of critical operating system files and registry entries
“Comodo Firewall Pro with A-VSMART technology is a key milestone in creating a trusted Internet because this solution architecture is designed to prevent potential damaging threats from executing on a computer in the first place.” said Melih Abdulhayoglu, CEO and Chief Security Architect of Comodo. “One key element of a trusted Internet requires computers that can be trusted to be virus and malware free. This CNET recognition confirms our commitment to innovate in creating a trusted Internet is a much needed advancement in the industry.”
This latest review is yet another in a list of positive reviews this product has received from independent sources like PC Magazine, pcmag.com/search_results/0%2C1208%2C%2C00.asp?qry=comodo&site=3
To see the CNET review in full, please visit download.com/Comodo-Firewall-Pro/3000-10435_4-10775568.html?tag=lst-1
To download the firewall, please go to personalfirewall.comodo.com.
Comodo, through its group of Internet security companies, is a leading Certification Authority and global provider of Identity and Trust Assurance services on the Internet. Comodo secures and authenticates online transactions and communications for over 2,000,000 businesses and consumers.
With a global presence Comodo offers businesses and consumers third-generation solutions for intelligent security and authentication technologies that create trust online. Comodo’s technological expertise includes PKI digital certification, Code signing certification, integrated authentication infrastructure services, Web Content authentication, Secure messaging solutions, PCI compliancy scanning, SSL digital certificates including our flagship InstantSSL brand, HackerGuardian, Banking solutions including Two Factor Authentication, and digital e-commerce services.
For additional information on Comodo – Creating Trust Online® visit Comodo.com
For more information, reporters and analysts may contact:
Office: +1 (888) 266-6361