TRUSTIX ENTERPRISE FIREWALL DELIVERS FREE SECURITY FOR ENTERPRISE NETWORKS
Latest BETA version of acclaimed Trustix Enterprise Firewall (V4.8) remains free and provides enterprise class, advanced protection that is "out of the box" easy to deploy
Jersey City, NJ, November 7, 2007 — Comodo, a leading security company, announced today the release of Trustix™ Enterprise Firewall version 4.8, (TEF) a free enterprise class LINUX-based firewall solution. Trustix™ Enterprise Firewall delivers a high performance firewall to monitor network traffic and protect the network against unauthenticated traffic or login attempts that may inject Trojans, worms, or infected files into the network. TEF, widely acclaimed for its innovative WYSIWYG interface in combination with its sophisticated security features, remains free for use without requiring any licensing, subscription, or renewal fees.
Firewalls are designed to allow or block network traffic based on a number of criteria, usually related to where the traffic is coming from and what ports or services are being used. Comodo's offering provides core firewall functionality but also contains several additional security and usability features to safeguard a company's network including:
- Monitoring traffic volume and the type of traffic
- Advising administrator about malicious activity and how many attempts there were to break into the network
- A fully-featured packet-filtering router with advanced capabilities
- A unique, intuitive GUI enabling administrators to visualize and edit firewall policy plus manage traffic for all security zones (up to 24) as well as port forwarding, Network Address Translation (NAT) and Virtual Private Network (VPN) configurations
- Packet-filtering enabling TEF to act as a router to accelerate data transmission
- Command-line scanner
- Fast, multithreaded daemon with support for on-access scanning
- Milter interface for sendmail
- Virus database auto updater, virus scanner C library and on-access scanning
- Built-in support for various archive formats such as - Zip, RAR, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, OLE2, Cabinet, CHM, BinHex, SIS and others, almost all mail file formats, ELF executables and popular document formats including MS Office and MacOffice files, HTML, RTF and PDF
- Executable files compressed with UPX, FSG, Petite, NsPack, wwpack32, MEW, Upack and obfuscated with SUE, Y0da Cryptor and others
Additionally, this new release adds important new technology to improve the efficiency of TEF. Some of these new features and functions include:
- High Availability & Load balancer:
TEF makes use of LVS (Linux Virtual Server) to provide fast load balancing. The Heartbeat (Linux-HA) is used to monitor the Linux-directors - the hosts running LVS and doing the load balancing. This is combined with ldirectord which monitors real-server - the hosts that accept end-user's connections. These three core components support TEF4.8 to provide Highly Available and/or Load Balanced network services.
- Web Content Filtering which helps prevent indiscriminate Internet surfing that often conceals viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, keyloggers, phishing, pharming and more.
TEF offers intelligent surfing protection through its user identity-based Internet Content Filtering solution, guarding enterprises from security, productivity threats and legal liability. The web content filtering solution offered is based on a combination of categories, keywords, URLs, domain names and file types, making it a comprehensive filtering mechanism.
TEF fully integrated gateway anti-virus engine provide reliable web and e-mail security at the gateway for enterprises. The gateway anti-virus solution supports business flexibility and prevents Internet threats like worms, viruses and malicious programs from entering the networks.
- Intrusion Detection system (IDS), capable of performing real-time traffic analysis and packet logging on IP networks.
It can perform protocol analysis, content searching/matching and can be used to detect a variety of attacks and probes, such as buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB probes, OS fingerprinting attempts, and much more. It uses a flexible rules language to describe traffic that it should collect or pass, as well as a detection engine that utilizes a modular plugin architecture.
These advanced security features are configured and managed using a friendly 'drag 'n' drop' GUI. This allows administrators to easily visualize and configure firewall policies, demilitarized zones and Virtual Private Networks by simply clicking and dragging connections between servers. The underlying rules generated by the program are then fully optimized before being deployed. This innovative approach reduces administrator mistakes and makes deployment even easier. Melih Abdulhayoglu, CEO and Chief Security Architect of Comodo explains, "Most other enterprise firewall do not enable users to configure their security requirements with such 'point and click' simplicity. By providing users with such a rich featured firewall solution free of charge, we are enabling network administrators to create a highly trusted networking environment which in turn we hope will promote Comodo as a worldwide leader in security technology."
The Comodo companies provide the infrastructure that is essential in enabling e-merchants, other Internet-connected companies, software companies, and individual consumers to interact and conduct business via the Internet safely and securely. The Comodo companies offer PKI SSL, Code Signing, Content Verification and Email Certificate; award winning PC Security software; Vulnerability Scanning services for PCI Compliance; secure e-mail and fax services.
Continual innovation, a core competence in PKI, and a commitment to reversing the growth of Internet-crime distinguish the Comodo companies as vital players in the Internet's ongoing development. Comodo secures and authenticates online transactions and communications for over 200,000 business customers and 3,000,000 users of our desktop security products.
For additional information on Comodo - Creating Trust Online® visit Comodo.com
For more information, reporters and analysts may contact:
Office: +1 (888) 266-6361